Kilmatogh
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kilmatogh

Place to discuss the Kilmatogh Community and its strange disappearance.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Mystery starts here!

+3
J.Howey
MetaMur
SusanaB
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 11]

1The Mystery starts here! Empty The Mystery starts here! Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:20 am

J.Howey

J.Howey
Admin

As a native Leitrimer, I’d heard about the disappearance of the community in Kilmatogh when I was growing up. It always fascinated me. I want to write short book about them because the Kilmatogh community is part of local history. I don't know how interesting this is to the wider world, but any snippets of information I find will be posted on this forum. Anybody else who has any genuine info they wish to share would be hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by J.Howey on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

http://kilmatogh.simplesite.com

2The Mystery starts here! Empty Sounds interesting! Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:37 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

They sound intriguing, J.Howey! How a community of a eighty three people could disappear is utterly shocking if true. Who was their founder do you know?

Last edited by SusanaB on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

3The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:49 pm

J.Howey

J.Howey
Admin

I'm afraid I don't, Susana. Actually, I'm having a hard time as yet tracking down any names of the members of the community.

Last edited by J.Howey on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

4The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:02 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

Have you tried the local press office or county library? (They might have some information if they're any good.) It's just a suggestion.

5The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:16 pm

J.Howey

J.Howey
Admin

Very good suggestions! I'll try the library tomorrow. Too late today. Besides, I've had enough frustrating dead-ends to deal with for today.

Last edited by J.Howey on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

6The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:24 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

No problem, Mr Howey! I know what it's like to research something difficult and all the hair pulling and wrong turns that comes with it.

7The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:38 pm

J.Howey

J.Howey
Admin

You have experience with research? What was your research on, may I ask? The Leitrim County Library has a pretty good archive of local history and folklore, but I couldn't find any mention of Kilmatogh at all, unfortunately.

Last edited by J.Howey on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total

8The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:16 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

Oh, bad luck. Did you try the local press? My research was on whether a parasite found in cat faeces can subtly change people's personalities over time, increasing rates of neuroticism, schizophrenia, and perhaps even suicide. I have enjoyed reading so many different journal articles about various research on my topic, such as whether environmental factors have an effect, and the health effects on men and women. The best advice I have to offer is to gather as many sources as time allows. The more sources you have, the more variety and content you will have for your topic. It’s easy to lose sight of the joys amidst the frustration, but research is rewarding in many ways.

9The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:56 pm

J.Howey

J.Howey
Admin

I haven't tried the press office yet, it's next on my list. I'll go there on Monday, when it's open. Thanks for the suggestion. It must be a little entertaining to watch a 'beginner researcher' like me stumble about in ignorance looking for information for his subject, like some fool in the dark trying to find a light switch?

Last edited by J.Howey on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

10The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:40 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

Not at all, gathering the data for my own paper was, without a doubt, the most difficult assignment I have ever completed in my college career, because the topic was so new at the time. Anyway, that's all behind me, now. Let me know how you get on?

11The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:22 am

J.Howey

J.Howey
Admin

Will do. Thanks for the support, SusanaB.

Last edited by J.Howey on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:33 pm; edited 2 times in total

12The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:43 pm

J.Howey

J.Howey
Admin

Okay, so, the Leitrim Gazette is a small, unassuming, grass-roots Press operation in Blackross. Just a touch unorganized, I might add, at first impression. It occupies a small storefront space on Chester Street. The front half of the building holds the office and newsroom area consisting of three desks, two computers, two telephones and what looks like all the papers, notes, stationary and office bric-a-brac you could possibly imagine. Of course, there's an obligatory small bell above the door that jangled when I walked in. The one thing that looked just a little too big-town for this place was a glassed-in office for the editor at the back.
I had phoned ahead to arrange a meeting with the editor and he met me at the reception counter that streched the entire width of the room, blocking off the public from the busy staff -one man and two women- seated at their desks typing and talking at the same time. Upon seeing me, the editor extended his hand and his face exploded with a bright smile.
'You must be John, I'm the editor. How are you?' he said.
'Fine, thanks. Nice to meet you.'
'Good! Good! Now, how can we at the Leitrim Gazette help you?'
'I'm researching what happened to the Kilmatogh   that disappeared in 1982 and I was wondering if you could tell me anything you might know about it.'
'W-what's this for, if you don't mind me asking?'
'It's for a book I'm writing.'
He seemed to force a smile. 'I'm sorry I don't know much about that. You see it all took place just a few months before I started working at the paper...but we all know it's just one of those things for which there'll never be an answer.'
I didn't buy that. 'I'm sure there had to be some kind of foul play,' I said.
I could tell right away that I overstepped my bounds; his face looked amazed and irritated at the same time.
'John, let's talk about you and your story,' the editor stood back from the counter a little and studied my face. 'I'm sure we're all really glad to have you write something about our local history, but you must understand it takes the right person to keep that kind of thing guided in the right direction, for the common good. All of us in the media are here to serve the public's interest, the human race when you get right down to it. But so are you, John, you're here doing your piece for the interest of the people, just like the rest of us. Do you get me?'
I wasn't sure I did. I wasn't even sure I'd heard him right. I suddenly felt tired, though I couldn't figure out why? I knew I didn't buy everything this guy said to me -or did I? I knew he was hiding something -or was I all wrong? I think I was too tired to focus.
'I hope you understand. You do understand me, don't you?'
I had to force myself to think clearly and I found it helped to not look at him in the eyes.
I shrugged unconsciously and he continued speaking.
'We're a small town and that means that one little problem, even from a blow in such as yourself, is going to be felt and worried about by almost everyone else. Now, the last snoop didn't realize that and really caused some problems that affected the whole town. He was an aggresssive investigator. He destroyed the good faith of the people in their local government, their public servants, each other, and ultimately himself. That hurt. It was a wound in our side, and it has taken time for all of us to heal up from that. I'll cap this off by telling you, for your own information, that he finally had to leave town, he had no choice. He's gone, but I'll never forget the impact he made and I doubt that the town has ever forgotten it.
'This brings me to you, and us, the media, and also the residents of this town. I really want a good relationship between us personally, which I'd hate to see anything ruin. We need unity around here, a comradeship, good community spirit.' He paused for effect. 'John, I'd like to know that you're on board with this and working toward that goal.'
He shifted his gaze on me and I instantly felt uncomfortable. Maybe this guy was on the up and up, like for councilor, or maybe this whole little speech was some sort of sly ploy to shy him away from whatever I had stumbled upon with my topic of research.
But I couldn't think straight, or even feel straight. My instincts had been arrested and I didn't seem to care anymore. I just felt so tired. Contrary to my initial instinct, I knew there was nothing to enquire about. There was no story here.
But the editor was still waiting for an answer, still giving me that numbing gaze.
'I.....I, don't want to stir up any trouble, okay.'
'Well, that's a relief!'
The editor was estatic and came forward and shot out his hand to shake on it. As I took the proffered hand I almost felt that I had somehow sold part of my soul. Before I knew it, I was standing outside the press office front door. My meeting with the editor was apparently over. Now I'm wondering if there's a 30 year cover-up going on. If so, why?

Last edited by J.Howey on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

13The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:24 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

Ye gods and little fishes! From what you've described of the conversation at your meeting with the editor, I really don't trust that guy. He comes across as shifty. He’s definitely covering something up from the sounds of it. That makes me more curious to know what happened to the Kilmatogh community even more.

Last edited by SusanaB on Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

14The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:50 am

MetaMur

MetaMur

Hi, yall. I hope you don't mind me barging in, but I remember an advert in Destiny Magazine by a quasi-scientific group with a postal address in Kilmatogh, Co. Leitrim. I was a subscriber of that mag and I still have some of the issues from the mid 70's that has their advert in it. Here's a scan of the ad from one issue:
The Mystery starts here! Xual_a10

Last edited by MetaMur on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total

15The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:08 pm

J.Howey

J.Howey
Admin

Wow, great find, MetaMur! Did you ever write to them?

Last edited by J.Howey on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

16The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:26 am

MetaMur

MetaMur

Thanks. Yes, I did, and they sent me out some leaflets and a sign up form to join their community.

17The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:25 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

Good work, Metamur! Something should come up now that we have proof they existed.

18The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:30 pm

Kidrotten

Kidrotten

MetaMur wrote:We do this by expanding awareness through routine scientific experiments, specially calibrated consumption of psychotropic drugs
lol! The only thing psychotropic drugs do is make you hallucinate. So, while they're tripping off their heads nothing they’re seeing is actually real.

19The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:24 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

I'd be interested to know how they 'employ best scientific and strategic practice' to awaken unified consciousness.

20The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:53 am

Marychristmas

Marychristmas

Me too! Anybody know? Hi, I'm Mary, BTW.

21The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:20 am

Kidrotten

Kidrotten

Pseudoscience!

22The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:23 am

Marychristmas

Marychristmas

Kidrotten wrote:Pseudoscience!
That helps, Kidrotten. Thanks for the input!

23The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:25 am

Kidrotten

Kidrotten

My pleasure. It's what I'm here for.

24The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:31 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

In my opinion, saying it’s “pseudoscience” is rather offensive because it detracts from realising that psychical research (also known as ‘psi’ or parapsychology) is practised by various scientists and reputable institutions all over the world. This includes the study of paranormal activity among other things.

25The Mystery starts here! Empty Re: The Mystery starts here! Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Kidrotten

Kidrotten

“Blah, blah, blah!” is all I'm hearing. Where's the corroborated facts; the unbiased evidence? More importantly, tell me one reputable institution that practices any of that?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 11]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum