Kilmatogh
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kilmatogh

Place to discuss the Kilmatogh Community and its strange disappearance.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The fairies

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The fairies Empty The fairies Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:06 pm

Marychristmas

Marychristmas

How Dan disappeared is similar to the stories the seanachie or storyteller would tell us (when we were kids) about how the fairy folk would steal people, carry them away and keep them underground. Even now superstitions related to the fair-folk are still practised, for example you can still sometimes see a tree standing alone in the middle of a ploughed field. These are fairy trees, and it is considered terribly bad luck to cut one down, as the fairies that live there will curse you for destroying their home.

2The fairies Empty Re: The fairies Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:09 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

Do you believe in the sídhe, Mary? I got the impression you were bit of a sceptic?

3The fairies Empty Re: The fairies Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:25 pm

Marychristmas

Marychristmas

I always loved the old tales of the supernatural race who lost the battle for the land to humans and disappeared underground into the otherworld - in an invisible world that coexists with the world of humans - and live in great fairy halls biding their time to come back, as described in the Lebor Gabála Érenn.
http://sluaghsidhe.com/
http://deoxy.org/h_mounds.htm

4The fairies Empty Re: The fairies Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:32 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

You are referring to the supernatural race called the Tuatha de Danaan? Well that's interesting... Perhaps Dan was taken by the people of Danu because he shares their name?

5The fairies Empty Re: The fairies Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:34 pm

Marychristmas

Marychristmas

I can see the plight of Dan has not dampened your sense of humour, Susana!

6The fairies Empty Re: The fairies Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:49 pm

SusanaB

SusanaB

I don't mean to be insensitive; I'm just pointing out a coincidence in name is all.
I remember our Parish Priest used to say to us that these fairies were fallen angels who weren't good enough for heaven but weren't bad enough for hell. They were appeased with offerings and extreme care was taken to avoid angering or insulting them, as they could enchant you and whisk you away to their "sidh" or palace, court or hall to be their servant until you died of old age or exhaustion. And you couldn't rescue anybody from their possession because they were fierce guardians of their abodes—whether it was a fairy hill, a fairy ring, a special tree or a particular lake or wood.

7The fairies Empty Re: The fairies Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:59 pm

Marychristmas

Marychristmas

That's the Creideamh Sí or "Fairy Faith", the beliefs and practices observed by those who wish to keep good relationships with the aos sí and avoid angering them! My mother was a believer; she continued the custom of offering milk and traditional foods—such as baked bread, apples or berries—to the aos sí at the times of dusk and dawn, which is suppose to be a special time to the aos sí, as are some festivals such as Samhain, Bealtaine and Midsummer.

8The fairies Empty Re: The fairies Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:12 am

SusanaB

SusanaB

Good woman! Keeping the old traditions alive.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum